“She is free in her wildness, she is a wanderess, a drop of free water. She knows nothing of borders and cares nothing for rules or customs. 'Time' for her isn’t something to fight against. Her life flows clean, with passion, like fresh water.”
Roman Payne

Projects

Thursday, August 27, 2015

Eat Local, Live Local, Love Local

I saw a post recently about how if everyone in Canada spend just $100 each a year on a local business instead of a big-box store or chain it would boost the local economy, and help create local jobs (?)

Now that I'm typing this out, I can't remember if that was exactly what it boasted but I don't think that matters. My point is, it got me thinking about where we spend out money and if there were ways we could change to make it more "local supportive"?

Probably the biggest, but also the easiest change might be where we eat out. So once we return to living in the city, I'm going to try and support the local "mom & pop" restaurants. No more chain restaurants, or drive throughs, or Double Quarter Pounders with Cheese. Which really shouldn't be that difficult, as that's basically how we've lived this year in the arctic.

And the more I thought about this, the more benefits I saw. On top of supporting a locally owned and operated business, these restaurants in particular are usually less processed and at least a bit healthier. So I'm hoping this would also work with my ambition to live healthier too. 

On top of that, I'm going to try to source locally made gifts for birthdays or christmas. Living in Rankin has shown me that there are talented artists and crafters in every community and it is so important to support them. I already follow quite a few local vendors on Facebook from various farmer's markets or craft sales we've been to, so hopefully it won't be too difficult.

So that's really it. Maybe you could try too? And together we can save a local business? Maybe?

No comments:

Post a Comment